Residents Targeted by Scam Callers
We have received reports of scam telephone calls targeting residents in Ashford and Tenterden and instructing them to purchase face masks over the phone.
- You receive a telephone call.
- An automated voice claims to be from the Government coronavirus helpline.
- You are told the Government wants residents to wear a face mask.
- To purchase face masks you are told to press button 1.
What to do:
- Do not press 1 – this is a scam.
- The Government has not asked the public to wear masks, at this time.
- The Government would not ask you to purchase items in this way.
- Hang up your telephone.
- For advice and to report call Citizens Advice consumer service 0808 223 1133 or visit their webpages.
Please warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours.